We are delighted to announce that we have been granted the VOKA Charter for Sustainable Entrepreneurship. This milestone marks an important recognition of our efforts to integrate sustainability into our business activities.
We signed the VOKA Charter for Sustainable Entrepreneurship in 2021 in support of the transition to more sustainable business operations. As a result, we undertook to participate in a number of sustainable projects as a means of consciously helping to resolve some of the greater problems faced by the world.
Specifically, we started to formulate an action plan in both Oelegem and Herent. And this plan was a succes: we are proud to state that we received a positive rating from the evaluation committee. The recognition by VOKA is a great honour, as it proves our actions are centered around ensuring a sustainable future.
Points for action
The VOKA Charter for Sustainable Entrepreneurship is based on 17 sustainability goals. Together with small and large companies in 194 countries around the world, these goals aim to end extreme poverty, inequality, injustice and climate change. Specific measures that are in line with these objectives have been formulated for both the Oelegem site and the Herent site.
SHE Manager Ludo Goossens: “In order to actually be awarded the charter, we had to be able to tick off at least 10 action points for both Oelegem and Herent, of which at least 2 action points had to relate to our core business. In April, the VOKA audit team visited our sites to discuss and evaluate our sustainable initiatives. The news was good, as they gave a positive rating to enough action points. We have made every effort to obtain the certificate this year and are extremely happy that both sites have prevailed.”
Our action points:
- We looked at our carbon footprint in detail.
- An energy study was conducted, which mapped out potential energy-saving measures.
- Sustainable initiatives, such as collaboration with food banks and the Bloedserieus blood donation service, were highlighted.
- A new bicycle parking facility, including charging points for electric bicycles, was built in Oelegem.
- The checklist to be completed by our suppliers was expanded to include a number of sustainability criteria.
- Standing workstations were installed in the production areas.
The objectives are and will remain a compass for Pauwels as it strives to maintain a future-oriented company policy. A list of new action points will therefore also be drawn up for the following year. This is how we remain committed to creating a sustainable world.